Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Flaming Altecs, Batman!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Flaming Altecs, Batman!

    Groovy, Robin.


    AltecFlamingA7html


    Like, WOW, Man.

    P.S. Check out the rest of the site.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Flaming Altecs, Batman!

    Yeah, in the mid-70s, Altec had some hipsters in the advertising/graphic arts dept. The MI catalogs du jour were other examples. The corresponding typos and outright printed mistakes hint at where their "heads" were at.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Flaming Altecs, Batman!

    I had forgotten about the Altec "Odyssey" LP. Might have been a reason for that but I just picked one up on feepay for $10.00 shipped. Quite a few of them listed if anyone else is interested. I also have the JBL "Sessions" double album which is actually kind of educational. It documents the recording and mix down process as it was done in the late seventies and early eighties. The cool part is that they have Hoyt Axton as the artist who records acoustic renditions of a couple of his songs, one of them being "Joy to the World". Everyone is familiar with the Three Dog Night version but I like Hoyt's laid back version too!
    I used to be known as "AltecFan" but now I'm "Altec19" . . .

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Flaming Altecs, Batman!

    I think Hoyt also wrote 'Never been to Spain'. Alas, have yet to hear his version though.
    Sammie Smith's is ok, but a little milktoast. Bonnie Raitt probably would've done it justice.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Flaming Altecs, Batman!

    Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    ...Bonnie Raitt probably would've done it justice.
    Yep, she's definitely "been to Oklahoma".

    In Oklahoma
    Not Arizona
    What does it matter?
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Flaming Altecs, Batman!


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Flaming Altecs, Batman!

    Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    I think Hoyt also wrote 'Never been to Spain'. Alas, have yet to hear his version though.
    Sammie Smith's is ok, but a little milktoast. Bonnie Raitt probably would've done it justice.
    Just an aside, Steppenwolf's "The Pusher" is also by Hoyt...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Flaming Altecs, Batman!

    From Wikipedia [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoyt_Axton]Hoyt Axton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]


    Among Hoyt Axton's best-known compositions (or co-writing credits) are:

    * "Greenback Dollar" covered by The Kingston Trio
    * "The Pusher," covered by Steppenwolf on their debut album in 1968
    * "No-No Song," which became a #3 hit for Ringo Starr in March 1975
    * "Never Been To Spain," covered by Three Dog Night, Waylon Jennings, and Elvis Presley
    * "Joy to the World", the Three Dog Night hit from April 1971 which held US #1 for six weeks
    * "Snowblind Friend" (1971), covered by Steppenwolf
    * "Lightning Bar Blues" (1973) covered by Brownsville Station and Arlo Guthrie
    * "Sweet Misery" (1974) covered by John Denver
    * "The Morning Is Here" (1974)
    * "Boney Fingers" (1974)
    * "Della and the Dealer" (1979)
    * "Hotel Ritz" (1979)
    * "Rusty Ol' Halo" (1979)
    * "Hangnail In My Life" Snowblind Album (1977)
    I used to be known as "AltecFan" but now I'm "Altec19" . . .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.